PHE Canada Research Council
The PHE Canada Research Council, formerly called the Council of University Professors and Researchers (CUPR), is a national council organized under the auspices of, and supported by PHE Canada.
Our group is composed of university level teachers, researchers and graduate students. Our particular areas of interest, although diverse, centre on topics and issues in physical and health education. Our research is conducted using qualitative, quantitative or mixed methodology. While we welcome input from professors and researchers engaged in science-based inquiry, most of the members of the Research Council focus their work on aspects of physical and health education that would best be described as pedagogical, social, cultural, or philosophical.
- To create a collaborative and coherent voice for scholars and professionals in the fields of PHE teaching and research in Canada and internationally.
- To provide a forum to disseminate and encourage the advancement of knowledge in PHE through PHEnex Journal/Revue phénEPS and conferences.
- To facilitate a connection with others about our research interests.
- To support PHE Canada and the PHE Journal.
- Providing a research forum that is attached to the PHE Canada National Conference. The forum offers a way for professors and graduate students with a common interest in Physical and Health Education from across Canada to meet, to share current research, and to establish and nurture professional networks. Graduate students are provided with opportunities to showcase their research and to meet new colleagues. Practitioners are invited to attend Research Council research presentations at the preconference, and many professors and graduate students offer practical activity sessions during the subsequent conference.
- Operating a list serve that advertises employment opportunities, new publications, and upcoming provincial, national and international conferences. This list serve maintains connections among professors and graduate students throughout North America and Europe.
- Providing an on-line, open-access, peer-reviewed journal entitled PHEnex Journal/Revue phénEPS (Physical and Health Education nexus/phénix Éducation Physique et à la Santé). As an open-access on-line and bilingual journal, this publication is the Research Council's “window on the world”. It is available to readers everywhere, and while Canadian research is featured, manuscript submissions from anywhere on the planet are encouraged and welcomed.
- Ongoing close collaboration with PHE Canada, including engaging in and offering input and feedback for various projects