Always Changing - Grades 5 & 6
The Always Changing - Grades & 6 program is a school-based resource designed to help ease the transition between childhood and adolescence for boys and girls in grades 5 and 6.
Students will have many questions about the physical and emotional changes they go through during puberty. This FREE set of instructional materials will help students understand that these changes are a normal part of growing up. Sponsored by Always and Tampax.
What Always Changing - Grades 5 & 6 offers you?
- A Teacher’s Guide that offers background information about puberty (for both girls and boys), teaching activities, as well as reproducible student worksheets.
- The program offers you a variety of supplemental activities and quizzes to support you in implementing this program.
What Always Changing - Grades 5 & 6 offers your students?
- Workbooks that provide basic facts about puberty including ideas about menstrual protection products, how to talk to parents, as well as personal hygiene. Order one book per student.
- Product samples for your students:
Each female student receives one sample of Always® Infinity Pad and four Always® Thin Unscented Pantiliners (not available for the 2015-2016 school year).
- Each male student receives one Old Spice product sample* (*while supplies last) and one Gillette coupon (not available for the 2015-2016 school year).
- Each female student receives one sample of Always® Infinity Pad and four Always® Thin Unscented Pantiliners (not available for the 2015-2016 school year).
What will your students learn from Always Changing - Grades 5 & 6?
Students will learn to identify the connection between personal choice and healthy body systems:
- Identify the importance of personal hygiene practices
- Apply personal hygiene behaviours
- Identify the factors that one can and cannot change that affect reproductive health at puberty (hormonal changes, hygiene, diet, exercise, stress)
Students will learn to identify the changes associated with puberty.
- Describe the changes of puberty (e.g., physical, emotional and social)
- Identify the male and female reproductive systems
- Describe the stages of the menstrual cycle and spermatogenesis
Students will practice living skills associated with puberty.
- SELF-AWARENESS – accept themselves as unique and special
- PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY – take responsibility for their own choices and actions related to healthy sexuality
- RESPECT FOR SELF and OTHERS – display behviour that respects the sexuality of others
- GOAL-SETTING – assess personal choices and behaviours in relation to their own short-term and long-term goals
Educators have found this program to be educationally sound, easy to follow, and complementary to their health curriculum. Students and parents find the materials helpful and informative.
Distribution of the program runs from September through the end of May (depending on inventory) and closes for the summer months. Please note, approximately 4-6 weeks for delivery.
PHE Canada endorses the Always Changing Program.
The Always Changing Grades Program was developed in the U.S. with the assistance of adolescent health specialists, school nurses, and health curriculum coordinators, as well as with the help of a panel of sixth grade advisors. To adapt the program to meet Canadian needs, Procter & Gamble Inc., in conjunction with Ophea (Ontario Physical and Health Education Association) and PHE Canada* (Physical and Health Education Canada), has worked to put together the materials offered in the Always Changing Program, with the goal of providing educators with a user-friendly, state of the art, puberty education program. This program was developed with the help and advice of educators, health professionals and students. We especially want to acknowledge the contributions of our Advisory Panel members who participated as individuals, not as representatives of the organizations with which they are associated.