Obesity

  • “one-third of Canadians aged two to 17 are overweight or obese” (Prevention of overweight and obesity in children and youth: a systematic review and meta-analysis, 2015, p.13)
  • “Research has demonstrated that excess weight puts children at risk for a range of preventable health problems, including type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, joint problems and mental health issues” (Active Health Kids Canada, 2007, p.13).
  • “Over the past two decades, the prevalence of obesity increased over two-and-a-half times among Canadian adults … Based on self-reported data in 2000–2001, more than 6 million adults aged 20 to 64 were overweight, and nearly 3 million were obese.  Rates for overweight and obesity differ between men and women. In 2000–2001, more men (56%) than women (39%) reported being overweight or obese” (The Canadian Population Health Initiative, 2004, p.112).
  • “Rates of both overweight and obesity have also increased for Canadian children … between 1981 and 2001, overweight and obesity among children aged 7 to 13 rose by 1.5 to 5 times” (The Canadian Population Health Initiative, 2004, p.112).
  • “In 2000–2001, close to 5% of children 12 to 19 years old were considered obese, with the prevalence among boys (6%) being twice that of girls (3%);16 17% of the boys and 10% of the girls were overweight” (The Canadian Population Health Initiative, 2004, p.112).
  • “Television viewing is the most common sedentary activity of children, and obesity rises with increased time spent watching television.67 Studies have demonstrated that obesity in children and adolescents can be reduced by decreasing the time they spend watching television” (The Canadian Population Health Initiative, 2004, p.131)
  • “Among children and youth (aged 2 to 17 years), rates of obesity have almost tripled – from 3% in 1978 to 8% in 2004, and another 18% are considered overweight” (Butler-Jones, 2008, p.9).
  • “Approximately one in twenty Canadians has diabetes.  The vast majority of Canadians with diabetes (about 90%) have Type 2 diabetes, which is strongly related to overweight and obesity, as well as genetics. This type of diabetes can often be prevented through exercise, healthy eating and maintaining a healthy body weight” (Butler-Jones, 2008, p.29)
  • “In 1978/79, 12% of 2-to 17-year-olds were overweight and 3% were obese—a combined overweight/obesity rate of 15%. By 2004, about 1.1 million boys and girls in this age group, or 18%, were overweight, and another half a million, or 8%, were obese. This means that more than one-quarter (26%) of these young people were overweight or obese” (Shields, 2006, p.29).
  • “In 2004, the combined prevalence of overweight/obesity for each sex was about 70% higher than in 1978/79, and the prevalence of obesity alone was 2.5 times higher” (Shields, 2006, p.29).
  • “the percentage of youth in this age group [2-17 years old] who were obese tripled, increasing from 3% in 1978/79 to 9% in 2004” (Shields, 2006, p.29).
  • “Between 1981 and 1996, the prevalence of overweight among 7- to 13-year-old boys rose from 15% to 35%; among girls of the same ages, the prevalence increased from 15% to 29% ... the prevalence of obesity tripled during the same period, from 5% for both sexes to 17% for boys and to 15% for girls” (Carrière, 2003, p.29)
  • “Overweight children also tend to remain overweight as adults, and there are well documented longterm health consequences associated with childhood obesity. For example, it has been associated with chronic and life-threatening conditions such as diabetes and heart disease” (Carrière, 2003, p.29).
  • “Overweight children experience physical and psychological health problems during childhood. They are also at risk of developing various chronic conditions in later life, because they are more likely than other children to become overweight adults (Pérez, 2003, 17).
  • “Television viewing has repeatedly been found to be associated with overweight and obesity among children” (Pérez, 2003, 19).
  • “Overweight/obese children who watched more than two hours of television a day had significantly lower odds of becoming and remaining active, compared with those who spent less time watching TV (Pérez, 2003, 22).
::